Sunday, September 11, 2011

Day 29 - A Day of Remembrance

I've sat and thought all day about things. Yes, today is the 10th anniversary of the attacks on 9/11. Yes, I'm sad and sentimental about it. But I can't let it get me. 

This is the second time I have given my husband away to fight in this war. I have watched him get on an airplane twice, and know that he won't be back for an eternity. I have spent many sleepless nights just wondering.... 10 years ago, how many people that learned of the tragedy of 9/11, knew that they were going to the war? Or that someone they loved would be going to the war? I know why God doesn't want us to know our own fate. You think we're in a mess now? What kind of a mess could we really get ourselves into, if it was a predictable one?

I think back to the day, when I was sitting in math class. Next to PJ, who really wasn't even PJ then, but he was Phillip. It's so funny how fate, or whatever you want to call it, works out. I think about it even now. If I knew what was to come in the years following the attack on the World Trade Center, would I have spared myself the heartache? I damn sure would have tried. But what would I have gotten myself? Nothing. 

I believe that God has a plan for everyone. I believe that God made me who I am. The type of person who cares, and stands by someone that they love. I have supported PJ since the day we walked into the recruiter's office. How could I have said no to someone who wanted to put themselves out there for their country? How do you say that you're not behind someone, who you love and adore? I didn't think twice. I will admit, I was a little selfish with the decision between active and reserve, but I think PJ made the right decision for us. 

I'll quit rambling now. What I really want to say is this. We are all affected by the tragedy of 9/11. It doesn't matter if we aren't family to someone lost that day, or family to a soldier who was lost during the war. What matters is that we remain one family, united by our patriotism, and our love for our families, friends, soldiers, and strangers. We are blessed to be able to tell the story of the heroes, past and present, who gave their lives in a fight to the finish. 


Dear Lord,


Please bless everyone affected by the tragedy of 9/11. Please continue to whisper words of inspiration into the hearts of the people of our great nation. Bless the children who are learning of what has happened, now that they are of age to begin to understand. Bless the souls of those that have perished as a result, and may they watch over us as we continue on in our lives. And please oh please, bless the families and soldiers of the 469th, and every other troop stationed far away from home because of the war. We would not live in a free nation, if it weren't for them.


Amen

No comments:

Post a Comment